Supporting Your Community: Farmers' Markets
By: Elizabeth Garner and Nicholas Johansen
Supporting your community is as easy as shopping at local farmers' markets. Shopping local means you can directly contribute to small family farms, artisans, and other locally owned businesses, giving them a fighting chance in today's economy. Your local framer's market shop also allows you to cut out the unnecessary stuff that is added to much of our food here in the USA. Because of travel time and holding time, most of our regular grocery store foods have to be heavily processed. When you shop locally and buy directly from the farmer's market, you can skip the middleman and enjoy an excellent selection of produce -- from rainbow carrots to heirloom tomatoes, purple cauliflower, and even green garlic. Enjoy diverse produce at its peak freshness while meeting the farmers who grew it from seed to fruit/vegetable; keep your eyes out for sweet corn during the summer, pumpkins and squash during the fall, and asparagus, peas, and carrots in the spring!
Hutto Farmers Market
200 East St, Hutto, TX 78634
- Wednesdays 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Summer hours)
- Consistently there: coffee, cookies, eggs, produce, bread, candles, bath bombs, and jewelry.
Round Rock Farmer's Market
201 University Blvd
- Saturdays 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Consistently there: Fresh veggies, grass-fed beef, and free-range chicken, books, soy candles, art, coffee, handmade artisan soaps, freshly baked breads, and unique gifts.
The Market at Indian Mound Ranch
12805 SH 29 W Liberty Hill, TX
- Every 3rd Saturday, January - December
- Consistently there: produce, eggs, baked goods, spices, honey, and a diverse selection of prepared handmade decor, jewelry, and art.
Texas Farmer's Market at Lakeline
11200 Lakeline Mall Drive, Cedar Park, TX
- Every Saturday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Consistently there: fruits, vegetables, beef, chicken, pork, duck, honey, infused oils, candles, bath salts, lip balm, pasta, dog treats, wine, and more.
Taylor Farmer's Market Heritage Square Pavilion
101-159 E 4th St, Taylor, TX 76574
- Every Saturday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Consistently there: offering a variety of locally grown produce, responsibly raised meats, and unique handmade goods from local farmers, ranchers, and artisans.
Wilco Farmer's Market
E 8th St, Georgetown, TX 78626
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. -2 p.m.
- Consistently there: Fruits & Vegetables, Beef, Pork, Chicken & Eggs, Raw honey, Artisan Breads, Canned Goods, Jams & Sauces, Self Care Products, Jewelry, Plants & Cut Flowers, Local Pecans, Coffee Syrups, Magnesium, and CBD.
Wolf Ranch Farmer's Market
1015 W. University Drive, Georgetown, TX
- Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Consistently there: honey, lamb, eggs, beef, chicken, pork, milk, vegetables, mushrooms, fruits, wine, and more.
We encourage you to connect with your community. Visit your local farmers' markets, enjoy meeting the farmers and artisans local to your area, and get tips and recipes from the source.
Thanks for shopping local and supporting your community!
Photos by Shelley Pauls, mk. s, Taya Dianna on Unsplash